Monday, December 31, 2012

Purple Pumpkin Eater Potatoes (minus pumpkins)

The thunderdome challenge is PURPLE POTATOES
~massive cheering and adulation~

So! I thought heck I'll make potatoes gratin. And it will be purple! How cool will that be?!?

Answer: Not Cool.

Answer B: Don't attempt to make a gratin without a mandolin. The potatoes will just laugh at your foolishness.

So to begin with, Here is the link to the recipe.

I thought if it had Fabulous in the title it would be fabulous. Boy was I wrong.
This time I had almost all the ingredients, so I blame the recipe.
Well I didn't have the leeks but whatever, it's just a stupid vegetable!

First I attempted to slice the potatoes. I also added a shallot because I'm carefree like that.



Adorable little purplies!

 Then I started cooking my favorite part, the bacon. Baccoooooon!
I smell like all good things


Now I add the goat cheese into the potatoes and mix heartily.

Never put flour on potatoes before but sure, why not?

 Then I add everything into my massively undersized skillet.

Look! A mess!


So at this point I can tell this is going to end poorly. The cheese is clumpy, the flour is making things worse, and the bacon ...well the bacon is perfect. Because: bacon.

So into the pan it goes, in a messy pile of schloop.
To make it better the recipe author said add cheese. Because cheese hides problems.
And into the stove it goes! I should mention I was also making StoveLoaf@ and curried vegetables at the time, and it is pictured here:

Stove: Still not bloody

And voila, when it was done...it looks fantastic!
I am a trick.

It even looks fabulous! 
Until you ate it.
Then it tasted like undercooked potatoes with flour caked on, and every once in a while you got a squish of hot goat cheese.
Yeah.
Fabulous.

But not to fear! Stoveloaf@ saved dinner! 
The Boyfriend said Stoveloaf@ was fantastic, which I was not surprised. When I asked him to make meatloaf he used a cookie sheet and a style best known as 'making a hill-type football-shaped meat brownie'. I finally found something I can cook better than him.

The curried vegetables were...eh. They needed more curry and to be baked longer.

The Fabulous Purple potatoes were tossed after a few bites.
Swirly purple weirdness, right there on a plate  

BUT! I way overbought the potatoes (they were so cute!!) that I ended up using them in every dish for a few days.

I even made purple potato soup. Ever had purple soup? It was fantastic!
And I felt like Dr. Seuss while eating it!

So, all in all not a total failure.
But don't trust recipes that have the word "Fabulous" in the title.
And I should really make a note to buy all the ingredients for a recipe before I start cooking it...













No comments:

Post a Comment